EYFS - Ultimate Outdoors : Developing an environment for learning
Attendees: Head Teachers, EYFS leads and EYFS teachers
After many requests Prince Bishops Teaching School Alliance are again working with Kathy Bigio Kathy has over 25 years EYFS experience and was a Senior Teacher Advisor for Early Years at Lancashire County Council. Kathy was also employed in an advisory capacity in Lancashire County Council and Blackburn with Darwen Local Authority
This completely revised course looks at the importance of developing an environment for learning outside which focuses on developing different skills, knowledge & understanding to the environment inside. The day will:
• Consider the unique nature of outdoor learning in order to promote learning across all areas of learning & development whilst acknowledging the importance of outdoors in relation to physical development, understanding the world and personal, social & emotional development.
• Explore the characteristics of effective learning and identify their implications for providing an outdoor environment which promotes learning for all children.
• Identify the crucial role of the adult in facilitating an environment for learning, supporting & extending children’s play.
• Reinforce the importance of effective communication between children and adults in order to promote language development and sustained shared thinking by the use of effective questioning.
• Consider the importance of effective planning in relation to outdoor learning to inform adult interactions & to enhance & challenge children’s learning.
• Provide revised exemplar planning formats for medium & short term outdoor learning.
• Look at the relationship between basic provision, ongoing provision, adult directed and independent learning in the outdoors.
• Ensure all adults involved in EYFS can identify and promote potential learning outcomes for all children when outdoors.
• Provide a multitude of ideas for taking back to the school to promote an effective learning environment.
Marriott Hotel, MetroCentre